12 Days In Vietnam – How Many Cities Are Enough?
Planning a perfect trip for 12 days in Vietnam is not that easy as you can possibly travel in a rush. You know?
Hanoi, Halong, Hue, Hoian, and Saigon are the 5 cities that are included in almost every single 12-day itinerary article you find on the internet. As the tours are customized to fit the limited time, you will spend 2 days on average in each beautiful city. However, it doesn't mean that you can't make the most out of your trip.
Other Itineraries you may be interested in the Vietnam Itinerary - 3 days - 4 days - 5 days - 6 days - 7 days - 8 days - 9 days - 10 days - 11 days - 12 days - 14 days - 3 weeks
3 Main Itineraries for 12 days in Vietnam
Itinerary 1: 12 Days in Vietnam
- Day 1: Hanoi Arrive
- Day 2: A palace, a museum, pagodas in Hanoi
- Day 3: Hanoi – Halong Bay
- Day 4: Halong Bay – Hue via Hanoi
- Day 5: Hue
- Day 6: Hue – Hoian via Danang
- Day 7: Hoian leisure time
- Day 8: Hoian – Ho Chi Minh City
- Day 9: HCMC – Cai Be floating market – Unique Homestay
- Day 10: Cai Be – Ho Chi Minh
- Day 11: Cu Chi Tunnels by minivan
- Day 12: Depart Ho Chi Minh
- if you want some beach time Nha Trang is better than Hoi An. Hoi An is more a culture place with a lovely little town to visit but the beach isn't great.
- Beach in Danang, voted by Forbes Magazine as one of the world's best. You can walk for miles on this beautiful wide beach, watch fisherman hauling in their nets, relax on the sands. This is one of my favorite weekends getaway spots from Hanoi.
Itinerary 2: 12 Days in Vietnam
- Day 1 Arrive in Hanoi Hanoi
- Day 2 Tour of Hanoi City Hanoi
- Day 3 Hanoi – Cuc Phuong National Park Cuc Phuong National Park bungalow
- Day 4 Cuc Phuong – Van Long – Ninh Binh Ninh Binh
- Day 5 Ninh Binh – Bai Tu Long Bay Cruise ship in Halong Bay
- Day 6 Bai Tu Long bay - Hanoi - Fly to Danang Hoi An
- Day 7 Countryside tour & visit the ancient town of Hoi An Hoi An
- Day 8 Hoi An free day Hoi An
- Day 9 Hoi An – Ho Chi Minh City; City tour on Vespa HCMC
- Day 10 HCMC – Mekong Delta cycling – Ben Tre Rural homestay in Be Tre
- Day 11 Ben Tre – HCMC HCMC
- Day 12 Depart HCMC
Tips: Things to do in Hanoi - Hanoi Travel Agency - Hanoi Day Trips - Halong Bay Cruise - Things to do in Halong Bay - Things to do in Sapa - Vietnam Travel Agency
12 days in Vietnam in detail
Sapa is one of the destinations that you should consider for trekking:
Sapa maybe 3 days is enough. It's a very small town but picturesque and like a Swiss village. The Sapa day tour to the river and waterfall is great Brace yourself for being hassled by hundreds of young hawkers! Victoria Resort is a nice romantic option. We stayed there and enjoyed it. I am married to a Vietnamese girl and we went there on our honeymoon.
Haiphong and Halong Bay is a must. You should go on a cruise on one of the junks for 2-3 nights. Awesome!
>>> You might want to check out: Best Vietnam Itinerary Planning!
2 Nights in The Enchanting Hanoi
- Do a private tour around Hanoi Old Quarter
- Watch a water puppetry show
- Enjoy dinner at a local Vietnamese restaurant situated within a former French residence.
- Do a morning market visit and street food tour
- Enjoy a private city cultural tour of Hanoi, encompassing many areas, sights, and experiences in Hanoi, including a visit to the Museum of Ethnology
- Enjoy a performance of “My Village” at the Hanoi Opera House
- Have dinner at a restaurant in the Old Quarter
Day 3: Hanoi - Halong
- After breakfast, transfer to the airport for a seaplane flight to Halong Bay
- After landing at Tuan Chau Marina in Halong Bay, an electric car will transfer you to board your one-night cruise.
- Explore numerous grottoes and caves on the islands
- Lunch and dinner are served onboard
Going under a limestone cave on a local boat in Halong Bay is such an unforgettable experience
Day 4: Halong - Hanoi - Danang
- Following breakfast, you will disembark the cruise and proceed to Tuan Chau Marina for your seaplane flight back to Hanoi.
- Upon arrival in Hanoi, you will board your flight to Danang
- Enjoy dinner in downtown Hoi An and spend the remainder of the evening at your leisure.
- Go to Hoian vibrant marketplace to prepare for your cooking class in the morning
- Enjoy a leisurely cruise along the Thu Bon River to the cooking school
- Take part in a walking tour through Hoi An, explore the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Old Town, visit the iconic 400-year-old Japanese Bridge and the busy waterfront, try one of best-known cakes in Hoi An.
Enjoy a day at your leisure to relax on the beach
Day 7: Hoi An to Hue
- You are transferred to Hue within 3.5-hour drive in the morning
- Board a private dragon boat for a relaxing voyage on the Perfume River.
- Enjoy dinner of renowned Hue cuisine while listening to a performance of traditional live folk music.
Ancient Hue CItadel
- Wake up early in the morning for a sunrise cruise on Tam Giang Lagoon
- Enjoy breakfast aboard a small motorized sampan and cruise the lagoon, stopping at stilt houses here and there to meet with local families and learn about their daily lives.
- Visit Thien Mu Pagoda
- Continue to the Imperial Citadel before moving on to Long An Palace
- Enjoy both lunch and dinner at local restaurants
- 3 nights in bustling Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
Day 9: Hue to HCM city
- After breakfast, you will be transferred to Hue airport for the mid-morning flight to Ho Chi Minh City
- Visit the Reunification Palace, Notre Dame Cathedral, the city’s striking French colonial-era post office, Hotel de Ville de Saigon (officially Ho Chi Minh City Hall) and the Museum of Vietnamese History, Jade Emperor Pagoda
- Visit Ben Thanh market for some personal exploration and souvenir hunting
- Discover Saigon night-life on the back of a vintage Vespa scooter
- Sample the city’s authentic street food and visit a Vietnamese coffee shop for contemporary live music
- Finish the evening at a local bar
- Visit District 4, a superb place to witness regular Saigonese going about their daily business
- Enjoy amazing Vietnamese coffee
Visit Cu Chi Tunnels
- Enjoy “The Mist Show – The Stories of Rice” at the Saigon Opera House
Visit Cu Chi tunnel
Day 11: A full day cruise exploring life along the Mekong River
- Visit Cai Be colorful floating market in Tien Giang
- Visit local home factories to watch workers make rice paste, rice pop corn, coco candies and more
- Discover beautiful landscapes along the river and observe the typical Mekong delta rural life
- Enjoy a dinner of traditional Northern Vietnamese cuisine at a local home
Day 12: Depart HCM city
- That's all about a tour within 12 days in Vietnam. Of course, you don't have to stick to it if you travel on your own.
- My personal view is that all the famous attractions in Vietnam worth more than a two-day visit. Slow down, see less, experience more - save the rest for another trip. Quality is better than quantity!
- However, If you really must cram as much as possible into a trip, then an organized tour may be more up your alley, as you’ll need to spend less time finding hotels and restaurants—which should leave you some time to decompress.
- Have you got any idea about your 12 days in Vietnam yet? Let's share with us on the comment box below!