Vietnam Itinerary 8 days is not an easy one to plan, especially for an international visitor.
If you have never been to this tropical Asian country and are unfamiliar to the geography here, some local advice is necessary.
Common Question from travelers:
“Travelling to Vietnam for 8 full days in Vietnam. Group of a few guys, Never been to Vietnam before.
– Looking to spend a few big nights out and hopefully the rest of the trip sightseeing
– Will probably sign up with some tours when we get there, but would like to roughly plan something beforehand
Nothing else has been booked.”
AZ Local Trip would like to give you some recommendations
3 main options for 8 days in Vietnam
Itinerary #1: Essence From North to South Vietnam
- DAY 1: HANOI ARRIVAL
- DAY 2: HANOI – HALONG BAY
- DAY 3: HALONG BAY – HANOI
- DAY 4: HANOI CITY TOUR – FLIGHT TO HO CHI MINH CITY
- DAY 5: HCM CITY – MEKONG DELTA
- DAY 6: MEKONG DELTA – HCMC
- DAY 7: HCMC CITY – CU CHI TUNNEL
- DAY 8: HCMC DEPARTURE
Why it is right for you?
- For those who want to explore the culture, history, people and new lands, this trip will be beyond your expectations!
- You will gain your knowledge and know more about the similarities and differences between the two regions of Vietnam.
- It is also the safest and most time-saving trip, without spending too much time on the long-distance more-than-one-day runs. All you need to do is moving to the stunning lands around two big cities Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. Besides, you also just need to book only a flight between these two cities.
- This tour will be an opportunity for you and your partner to understand each other better. Especially, you don’t need to spend your time searching for information on the internet and planning a complicated itinerary. Just save our tour and explore both North and South Vietnam!
>>> BOOK NOW Essence From North to South Vietnam!
Itinerary #2: Hidden Gems of Northern Vietnam
- DAY 1 – HANOI ARRIVAL
- DAY 2 – HANOI CITY TOUR – TRAIN TO LAO CAI
- DAY 3 – SAPA : Y LINH HO – LAO CHAI – TA VAN
- DAY 4 – SAPA: GIANG TA CHAI – SU PAN – HANOI
- DAY 5 – HANOI – HALONG BAY
- DAY 6 – HALONG BAY – HANOI
- DAY 7 – NINH BINH : HOA LU – TAM COC – MUA CAVE
- DAY 8 – HANOI DEPARTURE
Why it is right for you?
- Whether you prefer single trips or travel with a group of friends, this detailed schedule will save you time and make your journey easier.
- You are afraid of too much time with group tour? Don’t worry, this trip is designed for you to enjoy your own moments with a private space!
- The trip to explore the nature, history, and people of Northern Vietnam helps you to refresh yourself and soothe your soul after the stressful days!
- Shared group tour, shared dorm homestay in Sapa will be the opportunity to make new friends, exchange with people from different cultures, which makes your trip more interesting and memorable.
Itinerary #3: Southern Vietnam Through Cambodia 8 Days
- DAY 1: HO CHI MINH CITY ARRIVAL
- DAY 2: HCMC – MEKONG DELTA: CAI BE FLOATING MARKET – VINH LONG
- DAY 3: HCMC – CU CHI TUNNEL TOUR
- DAY 4: HCMC – BUS TO PHNOM PENH – CAMBODIA
- DAY 5: PHNOM PENH CITY TOUR
- DAY 6: PHNOM PENH – SIEM RIEP
- DAY 7: ANGKOR WAT TEMPLE
- DAY 8: SIEM REAP DEPARTURE
Why it is right for you?
- For those loving Vietnam and Cambodia and wish for a memorable trip to these stunning lands!
- This trip involves a lot of public transport and some long days of driving, so some patience will go a long way towards your enjoyment here. Sit back, relax, watch the scenery go by, and embrace traveling like a local.
- You love to explore culture, history, and new things? This trip is for you with a schedule of interesting experiences from Vietnam to Cambodia, the two stunning countries of Asia with a diverse culture, freedom of belief, and friendly people
This itinerary could be turned around starting from Ho Chi Minh
Vietnam Itinerary 8 days in detail from the North to the South
Day 1: Hanoi Free city tour with Local Guide
Hanoi Free Local Tours was set up in 2016 and is a student-run organization offering free city tours in Hanoi.
The programme provides students with the opportunity to practice their English and provides visitors with a great value guide to Hanoi. The organization says it hopes to bring to travelers insights into Vietnamese culture, tradition, and sightseeing.
- Visit Temple of Literature
You first need to have a rest after your flight to Hanoi. Then you start your city Hanoi city tour with Temple of Literature.
Temple of Literature, dedicated to Confucius, sages, and scholars, is Vietnam’s first official educational institution.
- Have a leisurely stroll around Hoan Kiem Lake and drop by Ngoc Son Temple
By walking around Hoan Kiem Lake, you can observe the vibrancy of Hanoian’s city life.
Ngoc Son Temple on Hoan Kiem LakeNext, Ngoc Son Temple, located on a beautiful islet in the middle of the lake, is another nice stopping spot. The traditional architecture here will leave an impression on you.
- Watching the water puppet show
Watery puppet show, a traditional art form, is a great performance of all ages. Once you make a cultural journey to Hanoi, it is worth including in your Vietnam Itinerary 8 days.
Hanoi free walking city tour with local student guide is available at AZ Local Trip.
Day 2, 3: Halong Bay – Flight to Da Nang City
I have already recommended a detailed 28+ BEST Things To Do In Halong Bay – Attractions & Activities in my previous blog. Please read it for further information.
My plan includes highlighted features of this world natural wonder: Sung Sot Cave – Titop Island – Luon Cave.
Following this itinerary, you will have a relaxing cruise trip. As a result, no worries upon overwhelming your two days!
In the late afternoon of Day 3, you return to Hanoi and take a domestic flight to Da Nang.
You then transfer to Hoi An Ancient Town and have a free night there.
Day 4: Hoi An countryside tour
- Visit Cam Nam village
The village, only a bridge away from the main town, is a great spot for an escape from the hectic life.
You can experience everyday activities in a rural village in Vietnam: water vehicles, ploughing with buffalos, rice cultivation, weaving, fish catching, etc.
- Continue to Bay Mau Coconut Forest
The forest is a new ecotourism destination attracting both domestic and foreign travellers.
You can grab the chance to row a basket boat and catch fish like a local. Besides, the peaceful atmosphere of the rural area is also a highlight.
- Visit Tra Que Village
You may attend a cooking class to make Hoian authentic dishes with local guidance.
Day 5: Hoi An Ancient Town – Flight to Ho Chi Minh City
- Enjoy a leisurely walk around Hoi An Ancient Town
Including Hoi An Ancient Town in your Vietnam Itinerary 8 days, you can visit Japanese Covered Bridge and Phuoc Kien Assembly Hall.
- Transfer to Ho Chi Minh City by plane
Day 6: Cu Chi Tunnel to Ho Chi Minh City
- Discover Cu Chi Tunnels
According to Asian Record, Cu Chi is the longest tunnel in the region.
During the Vietnam War, Viet Cong guerrillas used it as hiding spots. It was also a route serving communication and supplying food, medicine and weapons.
Visiting the tunnel enables tourists to have understanding about part of Vietnamese history.
- Visit Independence Palace (Reunification Palace)
Its architecture combines traditional features and modern 60s style. This famous historical site has witnessed Vietnam Wars against French colonist and American emperor.
- Get to Saigon Central Post Office
Ho Chi Minh City Post Office (Saigon Central Post Office), constructed in the late 19th century follows Gothic, Renaissance and French architectural styles.
- Have an easy evening at Nguyen Hue walking street
Day 7: Ho Chi Minh City – Mekong Delta
- Pay a visit to Cai Be floating market
The floating market is a typical market form in Mekong Delta. You definitely should include it in your Vietnam Itinerary 8 days.
- Have lunch at a local food stall on An Binh Island
- Take a traditional rowboat deeper into the countryside
See more: Vietnam Itinerary 7 Days
Day 8: Vietnam goodbye
You are free to have a relaxing morning around the center of Ho Chi Minh City.
I hope that my suggested Vietnam Itinerary 8 days help you somehow.
If you want to take a deeper trip to any part of Vietnam, please contact AZ Local Trip for free itinerary planning.
Have a memorable journey!
More information for destinations that are not mentioned in the 8 days itinerary
Sapa ( at least 2 days)
Around 3days – 2nights in Sapa is enough for your trip.
On top of Fansipan Mountain – the highest mountain of Vietnam which located in Sapa
– Visit the local markets: Coc Ly on Tuesday, Lung Khau on Thursday, Can Cau on Saturday and Bac Ha Market is held every Sunday.
– 2days trekking down to the villages nearby the Sapa town then overnight at the village to get the experience.
– Visit the waterfall or visit the dragon mountain.
Hope this information will help you a little bit.
5 / 4 nights in Nha Trang and 2 / 3 nights in Ho Chi Minh would work quite well (dependent on the weather though as Nha Trang is definitely more of a beach destination and I am not sure what the weather is like in February but a search of these forums should easily tell you that).
You cannot see why there is so much hate for Nha Trang. We even enjoyed the ‘tourist’ areas to be completely honest.
Also, You could feel the must not miss of Ho Chi Minh is taking a trip out to the Cu Chi Tunnels – this gave some great perspective of the war (would also recommend a guide for this activity as the extra information they provide can be extremely valuable).
We recommend you might spend 2 days in Hoi An visiting old houses, temples, pagoda, the markets, weaving factory and doing some shopping, visiting Cham museum in Da Nang. (Day 1). Then drive to visit My Son Cham ruined tower. My Son is one of the most stunning sights in Hoi An area.
Source: Tripadvisor, Lonely Plannet