“How much will I spend in Hanoi?” – We’ve been asked this question several times by foreign tourists.
Among cities in Asia, Hanoi is a relatively cheap place to visit. Further, it’s easy to splurge when eating in Hanoi!
Here are the costs of the services that you may have to pay for while staying in Hanoi.
1. Accommodations in Hanoi
Depending on what class of Hotel you would like to live at. The expenses will fluctuate from 20$ -> 30$ per day for first- class hotels and 10$-> 15$ for medium- class hotels.
You should know that, Vietnam Government will not license hotel to accept foreigners without offering air- conditioner, fridge, private bath, cable TV and so on. And you can demand it if the hotel you stay at doesn’t equip.
If you a student and someone else and you want to be frugal as much as possible then you should look for signs “ Nhà Nghỉ” “ Nhà Trọ”… It will cost you only 5$->7$ per night with enough amenities (soap, shapoo, toothbrush, fresh tower, ect)
There are many excellent hostels in Hanoi and it’s easy to sleep for cheap and have a great range of facilities at your fingertips in the cool Vietnamese city.
You can find a cluster of hostels around the Old Quarter. The average price is around 10$ per day. Just because hostels are cheap doesn’t mean that they have poor service. Renowned hostels are equipped with standardized facilities and their staff are well-trained.
Here are some highly recommended hostels in the Old Quarter:
2. Food in Hanoi
3. Transportation prices in Hanoi
Taxi has become a convenient and popular transportation method in Vietnam in recent years.
There are some reputable taxi companies that should be on top of your head when you look for one in Hanoi:
- Mai Linh (http://www.mailinh.vn)02438.333.333
- Vinasun (http://www.vinasuntaxi.com ): (08) 38 272727
- Taxi Group (http://taxigroup.com.vn/ ): 024188.8.131.52
Average tariffs are about 12,000 to 15,000 VND per kilometre
For travelers who have a tight budget, you can choose GrabCar or GrabTaxi. Their average tariffs are about 8.500 to 11,000 VND per kilometre
Note: Uber has stopped operating in Vietnam.
I recommend that you should use bus – a very cheap, convenient and available means of transport.
You can check the route to your destination on this website: http://timbus.vn/
Bus fare is 7000 VND. However, keep off the bus when it is too congested in rush hours. My suggestion is that you can also discover Hanoi streets as well as do sightseeing on foot.
Certainly, it is a good chance for you to taste some mouth-watering street food or drink lemon juice on the pavement with local people. It must be interesting. Enjoy it!
These days, more and more Vietnamese people choose GrabBike to get around Hanoi due to its credibility and affordability. Some foreign visitors decide to use GrabBike, too.
- First 2km fare: 12.000 VND
- Basic fare / km (after the first 2km): 3.800 VND/km
- Additional fare 10,000Đ for any booking falls in late hours: 12PM to 5AM everyday (from Monday – Sunday)
Renting A Motorbike:
It is fascinating if you decide to drive a motorbike on your own to explore Hanoi. However, be careful with the insane traffic in Vietnam. Some people even joke that driving in Vietnam is a kind of extreme sport.
If you go far from Hanoi, you will see the difference between urban life and rural life, and you’ll be coursing through some of the most beautiful, idyllic countryside towns.
How much will you pay for renting a motorbike in Hanoi?
The price for renting a motorbike in Hanoi fluctuates from 150.000 to 200.000 VND per day (7$ – 9$). Remember that you have to wear a helmet when driving and refuel the motorbike before return.
The price for renting a bicycle is about 1$ per day.
4. Entrance fees in Hanoi
It is will great that you come to Hanoi without enjoying the beauty of many famous places there, so let enjoy it.
This is the list of entrance fee for some famous places in Hanoi:
- Thang Long citadel : 30.000 dong/ adult
- Temple of Literature: 30.000 dong/ adult
- Quan Thanh temple:10.000 dong/ adult
- Ngoc Son temple: 30.000 dong/ adult
- Maison Central (Hoa lo prison) 30.000 dong/ adult
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum: 15.000 dong/ adult
- Fine Arts of Museum: 20.000 dong/ adult
- Vietnam Museum of ethnology : 40.000 dong/adult
- National Museum of Vietnamese History: 40.000 dong/adult
- Vietnam Military History Museum: 40.000 dong/adult
- Perfume Pagoda : 50.000 dong/ ticket
- Ferry fee: 35.000 dong/ return- trip ticket
- High class ferry fee: 40.000 dong/ return-trip ticket
- Suspension cable fee: 90.000 đong/ return-trip ticket
- Thu Le Park: 10.000 dong/ ticket
5. Hanoi miscellaneous expenses
If you want to try the flavor of local cigarettes, don’t hesitate. You can go to any grocery store and pay from 10,000 to 20,000 (0.5$ – 1$) for a pack, depending on what kind of cigarettes you like to smoke (Thang Long or Vinataba Cigarettes)
For those who don’t like those kinds of cigarette, there are other options at grocery stores. They will cost you more than local cigarettes about 1$, 2$ and even 3$.
- Black Captain: 72k /pack
- Black Devil: 55k /pack
- Black Mild: 100k /pack
- Black Captain 8: 100k /pack
- Black Captain 25: 35k /cigarette
- RichMond: 45k /pack
- Mond apple, strawberry, grape: 35k /pack
- Raison icepresso, Raison sunpresso : 75k /pack
- Camel: 55k/pack
- Cigar mini Villiger: 140k /pack
- Cigar Cafe Creme: 130k /pack
- Zest Korea: 40k /pack
- Jet Thai: 35k /pack
- Gudang 16: 70k /pack
You can have your laundry done in lots of places around the Old Quarter. Your hotel can arrange for it, or you can take it to any place sporting a ‘laundry’ sign.
The average cost is 1$/kg, which is quite affordable. The laundry is almost finished the same day. If your clothes are picked up late in the day, they will deliver them to you the next day.
In some laundry shops, there are different kinds of pricing:
- Premium Clean (Washed by hand only): $1.99/kg
- Standard Clean (Washed by machine, some by hand): $1.49/kg
- Super Quick (in 1 hour, washed by hand and machine): $2.99/kg
I have listed some basic things that you may have to purchase while staying in Hanoi. Hopefully they are helpful for you.
If you want to cut down more on cost, please contact AZ Local Trip. We will help you book a hotel room with 10% discount. Additionally, our free Food Tour and City Tour with local guides will provide you with the most exciting experience ever!