One of the most important and difficult to – be – done tasks when it comes to planning a trip to anywhere is to have a good itinerary. It is even much harder when you choose to visit Hanoi because of the variety of cultural and historical value. You will get a struggle with finding where to go, what to do, how many days in Hanoi you should spend.
Do not worry about these things anymore, we are here to help you. Based on my local experience and asking from many 10-year-experience guides, I will analyze the strengths and weaknesses of every trip durations from 1 to 7 days to ensure you would have a good trip in Hanoi.
First, let me ask you how many days to spend in Hanoi you think?
There are many choices for you to choose from 1 day trip to 7 days itinerary. However, each itinerary has its own strengths and weaknesses, up to your demands. So let me help which is the best choice of how many days in Hanoi for you.
1. How many days in Hanoi? – One day in Hanoi
First, I have to admit that if you choose one day for the questions How many days in Hanoi, it is quite a limited amount of time, but you can still manage to see the realist of Hanoi with well-selected destinations. Below is the specified Hanoi One day itinerary.
- In the morning: Have breakfast with Banh mi – Ho Chi Minh complex – Temperature of Literature.
- In the afternoon: Lunch with Pho – Hoan Kiem Lake – Hanoi Old Quarter.
- Evening in Hanoi: Dinner with Bun cha – Local beer at Hanoi Old Quarter.
See more the Hanoi one day itinerary in this article: https://azlocaltrip.com/one-day-in-hanoi/
The advantage of this trip is that, with the arranging the time properly, you still have the chance to visit 4 main destinations in Hanoi with a lot of cultural values. Moreover, you also can try 3 of most delicious traditional dishes in Hanoi. You will have a quite clear understand about Hanoi.
However, if you do not have a good health, you will be very tired while going because you have to move consecutively. In addition, the time for each destination is not much so you cannot get the full understand of them.
If you think 1 day is suitable for how many days in Hanoi, you will miss many other interesting destinations and somehow you cannot experience the local life here. I think it would be better if your trip is longer.
After all, this itinerary is suitable for ones who do not have much travelling time and they can spend 1 day only in Hanoi, especially backpackers. This also save them the cost of staying which is quite amount of money.
2. 2 days in Hanoi
You don’t have much time either, but so you are wondering are there any better choice of how many days to spend in Hanoi. Of course, 2 days is not so much time, but it is still a good choice to visit Hanoi.
The itinerary for 2 days in Hanoi is below:
- Day 1: The same as 1 day itinerary
- Day 2: Hanoi of architecture and traditional values.
- In the morning: Breakfast with Bun Oc (Snail Rice Noodle) – Hanoi French Quarter (includes Hanoi Opera House and Hoa Lo prison).
- In the afternoon: Lunch with Bun Bo Nam Bo (Southern Rice Noodle with Beef) – National Museum of Vietnamese History – Thang Long Water Puppet Theater.
- Evening in Hanoi: Dinner with Cha Ca La Vong – Relax with Lemon tea around St. Joseph’s Cathedral with local people.
See more the Hanoi 2 days in Hanoi with AZ local trip: https://azlocaltrip.com/2-days-in-hanoi/
First of all, with this itinerary, you can visit more destinations in Hanoi and especially, see a traditional cultural show in Old Quarter.
Spend 2 days in Hanoi, you are able to eat more local food in Hanoi as well as to enjoy Hanoi nightlife with locals. You will know more the life of Hanoians while chatting with them in front of St. Joseph’s Cathedral.
However, the same as 1 day itinerary, this trip will demand you to move continuously from one destination to the next one. So if you are a backpacker, I recommend you choose this for How many days in Hanoi.
3. 3 days in Hanoi
From how many days in Hanoi is a good duration? From 3 days is the answer as you can visit some destinations out of Hanoi. Here is the itinerary for you.
- Option 1:
- Day 1: Hanoi Old Quarter
- Day 2: Hanoi City Tour
- Day 3: Bat Trang pottery Village or Street food tour
2. Option 2:
- Day 1: The fusion beauty of Hanoi ( French Quarter + Old Quarter)
- Day 2: Out of Hanoi ( Halong Bay or Ninh Binh)
- Day 3: Ho Chi Minh Complex, Temple of Literature
Check this link: https://azlocaltrip.com/3-days-in-hanoi/ for further information.
This trip Hanoi Itinerary 3 Days is reasonably designed for travelers who would love to experience as much as possible. Especially for cultural tourists looking for the essence of assorted cultures.
If you follow the guide in the above link, I’m sure that you will not feel rushed as the time is longer and the schedule is very properly. The trip is now suitable more for those who travel with family, especially with kids as the amount of time for each place is longer.
One more advantage is you can visit destination outside Hanoi, which can help you to view other sides of Hanoi. You can get escape from a modern and crowded Hanoi to see a countryside with paddle fields…
4. 4 days in Hanoi
4 days is a good choice for how many days in Hanoi. You can visit 2 or 3 destinations during this duration. You can see these itinerary below
- Itinerary 1: 4 days with 3 destinations: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Halong Bay
- Day 1: Charming central Hanoi ( Old Quarter + Food Tour )
- Day 2: Hidden Gem Ninh Binh ( Ninh Binh Pagoda + Trang An Landscape Complex)
- Day 3: Natural Wonder Halong Bay (Stone Dog Islet + Burning Incense Islet + Ba Hang fishing village)
- Day 4: Hanoi (French Quarter)
- Itinerary 2: 4 days with 2 destinations:
- Option 1: Hanoi – Ninh Binh
- Day 1 + 2: Historic and Cultural Hanoi
- Day 3: Hidden Gem Ninh Binh
- Day 4: Cuisine Hanoi
- Option 2: Hanoi – Halong Bay
- Day 1: Charming Central Hanoi
- Day 2: Halong Bay ( Hon Gai Harbour + Bai Tu Long Bay – Thien Canh Son Cave)
- Day 3: Vung Vieng Fishing Village – Han Gai Harbour
- Day 4: Cuisine Hanoi
You can see much clearer itinerary for how many days in Hanoi in this link below: https://azlocaltrip.com/4-days-in-hanoi/
With this amount of time, you can visit other destinations out of Hanoi so you will have the chance to understand the life of outside Hanoi and even visit Halong Bay – one of new Seven Wonders of the World. This trip is suitable for many types of tourists: from solos, to couples and family with kids.
However, the cost for some itinerary is much higher if you want to try cruise tour in Halong. If you choose 2 destinations for 4 days, it would be fine; but 3 destinations for this durations is somehow quite rush.
5. 5 days in Hanoi
You can choose to spend 5 days in Hanoi after wonder how many days in Hanoi to spend. Similar to 4 days itinerary, Hanoi itinerary 5 days has some options of 2 or 3 destinations:
- 5 days with 2 destinations
- Day 1: Explore the Old Quarter
- Day 2: Hanoi City Tour
- Day 3: Hanoi – Halong Bay Overnight on Cruise
- Day 4: Halong Bay – Hanoi
- Day 5: Food Tour in Hanoi
- 5 days with 3 destinations
- Option 1: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Sapa – Hanoi.
- Day 1: Museum of Ethnology
- Day 2: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Night Train to Sapa
- Day 3: Lao Cai – Mong Sen – Ta Phin
- Day 4: Cat Cat – Heaven Gate – Hanoi
- Day 5: Hanoi
- Option 2: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Halong – Hanoi
- Day 1: Hanoi City Tour
- Day 2: Hanoi – Hoa Lu – Tam Coc
- Day 3: Hanoi – Halong Overnight Cruise
- Day 4: Halong – Hanoi
- Day 5: Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.
- Option 3: Hanoi – Sapa – Halong
- Day 1: Hanoi City Tour
- Day 2: Hanoi – Sapa – Cat Cat
- Day 3: Sapa – Ham Rong – Hanoi
- Day 4: Hanoi – Halong Bay
- Day 5: Halong – Hanoi departure
Check this link for more information: https://azlocaltrip.com/5-days-in-hanoi/
For a tourist, spending 1-2 days should be enough to reach all main sites. Therefore, the other days are for other places out of Hanoi. These schedules will help you to make a Hanoi’s main site – visiting plan in an appropriate way. You can also visit other awesome place in the North of Vietnam
This trip demands a careful preparation as there are more destination visited in each place and you will have more time to get to know each place.
However, to me, 5 days is quite good answer for how many days in Hanoi.
6. 6 days in Hanoi
There are many choice for how many days needed in Hanoi, especially for tourists come to Hanoi for the first time.
- Option 1: Hanoi ( 2days) – Halong (2 days) – Halong Bay (2 days).
- Option 2: Hanoi (3 day) – Ninh Binh (1 day) – Halong (2 days)
- Option 3: Hanoi ( 2 days) – Ninh Binh (1 days) – Halong Bay (1 day) – Sapa (2 days).
Check our recommend itinerary for further information: https://azlocaltrip.com/hanoi-itinerary-6-days/
6 days is a perfect duration that you can visit 3-4 Vietnam Northern provinces included Hanoi without worrying of any rush while traveling. This duration also helps you to choose the destinations easily to fit with your travel-mate as family, couple, friends, or even solo.
7. 7 days in Hanoi
A week is the longest duration we recommend for how many days in Hanoi. There are 3 destinations in this itinerary
- Day 1: Explore Hanoi Old Quarter or French Quarter
- Day 2 & Day 3: Explore Sapa – the incredible mountainous area
- Day 4 & Day 5: Discover Halong Bay
- Day 6 & Day 7: Back to Hanoi to further discover the city
For more itinerary, you can check in this link: https://azlocaltrip.com/hanoi-7-days-itinerary/
7 days will help you have more time to travel and explore the North of Vietnam without wasting time of moving. With our help on the above link, you do not have to worry about making wrong decisions.
Our 7 days itineraries are designed for the ones who’d love to save time planning but are wondering how long to stay in Hanoi.
I hope that with our many recommendation above, you will know which duration is the best for you. For more information and explanation, feel free to contact us – AZ local trip – to get a perfect trip and good memory in Hanoi.