Shopping in Hanoi? Is it a good idea?
Shopping in Hanoi is one can't-miss activity that tourists should try during their visit to Hanoi capital.
Hanoi 1000-years-old is outstanding not only because of its spectacular cultural landscapes but also its omnipresent thousands of bustling markets, narrow vendors and boutiques full of lights.
Every year, thousand flocks of foreign tourists set their foot on Hanoi for travelling and most of them don't come back home without purchasing some meaningful handicrafts to keep traditional values of this land for themselves.
You can go shopping in the bustle atmosphere of traditional markets located in the capital
For those who are proudly shopaholics, shopping in Hanoi is one thing that tourists can never miss. Wandering along Hanoi shopping places does not only bring you a chance to purchase for a good but time to communicate with friendly locals and understand more their daily lifestyles.
Shopping in Hanoi is also a chance to talk to locals to understand more their daily life.[/caption]
With a view to assisting tourists avoid purchasing cheats and problems when navigating the places of shopping, below is the list introducing you popular shopping places which are famous for high quality of artifacts and staff's polite behaviors. This list is based on experience and knowledge of mine as well as other skilled local residents.
Hanoi Shopping Tips
- When shopping in Hanoi, bargaining take an indispensable role in the lively atmosphere, so tourists are advised to bargain for your favorite goods.
- About 75% off the beginning price is highly recommended for travelers to bargain.
- Haggle as much as possible!
- As the traditional markets are very crowded , make sure to carefully watch out for pick-pockets and thieves.
Best Shopping in Hanoi
1. Hanoi Night Market
- Although many other markets nowadays develop dramatically, shopping at weekend night market cannot be beaten with a plethora of stalls selling a large number of products including handicrafts, ceramics, porcelain, dolls and accessories.
Hanoi night market, a can't miss destination when shopping in Hanoi
- Similar to other markets, Hanoi Night Market also offer local food, however, this pedestrian market is the place in which lots of fabulous performances from Western countries to Asia one, Vietnam included are displayed. You can both do shopping and watching musical performances. What an amazing idea, right?
- Opening hours: Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm
- Address: Stretching from Hang Dao Street to the edge of Dong Xuan Market.
2. Hang Gai (Silk Street)
- Hang Gai Street, also known as Silk Street overwhelms lots of tourists by its variety of goods from cloths, silk materials to furniture and daily necessities. It is one of the most shopping places which receive lots of positive feedback from both locals and tourists thanks to its high quality and reasonable price.
You would be surprised at the diversity of goods when shopping in Hang Gai Street, Hanoi
- Along the street with the length of 300 meter scatter a host of shopping boutiques and local tailor stores displaying various handicrafts, colorful silk and daily goods. Some famous shops in Hang Gai that I highly recommend are Tan My Design and Khai Silk, two top shops in Silk Street. Whereas Khai Silk take a pride in silk materials with high quality, Tam My design allures shoppers by offering eye-catching jewelry and embroidery outfits.
Tan My design and Khai silk are two silk shops I highly recommend for you when shopping in Hanoi.[/caption]
- Opening hours: Daily from 9:00 am to 8:00pm
- Address: Hang Gai Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
3. Dong Xuan Market
- Considered as the largest outdoor market in Hanoi, Dong Xuan market is located on the 4-storey Soviet-style building, witnessing the bustle speed of life in Hanoi capital. Coming Dong Xuan market, visitors can observe hundreds of fashion shops and small stores displaying a variety of T-shirts, cloths, school uniforms, handbags and handicrafts with the wholesale prices.
Dong Xuan Market, the largest market in Hanoi
- Besides selling goods, Dong Xuan Market is also noted for special local cuisines with a reasonable price of no more than 15.000 VND. Tourists can try local specialties to enjoy its Vietnamese rural flavor such as banh mi, banh cuon (steamed rolled rice pancake) and pho (noodle soup).
- Adjacent to Dong Xuan Market are some shops selling Bat Trang ceramic products, Dong Ho paintings, Binh Da embroideries, which are all favorite products to lots of foreign visitors. After shopping, you can take a evening stroll along Hoan Kiem Lake to enjoy the tranquil atmosphere in here.
- Opening Hours: Daily 06:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Address: Dong Xuan Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
4. Hang Ma
- Hang Ma street, referred as one of Vietnam's most colorful urban street, is situated in the central of Hanoi Old Quarter, a favorable position. With a deep-rooted history of 500 year-old experience, Hang Ma street take its pride in famous for selling toys, paper goods, especially paper votive offerings.
You will be surprised by the red color of Hang Ma street during the festivals
- In general, Hang Ma street relatively satisfy almost all customers as it sells the products relevant to each season. On Tet holiday or Mid-autumn festival, you will see bright red color of lanterns, parallel sentences and other colorful decorations for Lunar New Year. Halloween festival brings Hang Ma street a mysterious appearance decorated with thrilling masks, polystyrene pumpkins and skull-face overcoats. During festivals, Hang Ma street offers an ideal spots for photographs for many young Hanoians.
- Opening hours: Daily from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Address: Hang Ma Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
5. Hang Bac
- Hang Bac Street, also named Silver Street proudly take an integral role in supplying jewellery for customers from all regions of Vietnam, especially those who inhabit in Hanoi Old Quarter. Visiting Silver Street, tourists would be astonished by a diversity of silver rings, necklaces, earrings and other fashionable decors with a reasonable prices suitable for all kinds of customers.
- Foreign travelers can also check in jewellery shops along Hang Bac Street. After shopping, you can stop at Water Puppet Theater to enjoy Water Puppet performances of Vietnam, a Vietnamese traditional art that tourists can never miss when travelling the S-shaped country.
- Opening hours: Daily from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Address: Hang Bac Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
6. Hang Da
- Hang Da Market, the three- storey shopping building provide customers a range of products including imported wine, flowers, bags, second-hand clothes and outfits. Second-hand clothes are sold in a cheap price but their quality is still good.
Hang Da boasts its second-hand clothes which stills remain its good condition
- Coming Hang Da Market, tourists can try out ao dai, Vietnamese traditional cloth, which are made from real stylish silk, sophisticated embroidery and intricate weaving. A lot of goods which originate from famous countries such as Japan, Korea and the US would provide more choices of products for customers.
- Opening hours: Daily from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Address: 1 Hang Da Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
7. Quang Ba Flower Market
- If you are a lover of beautiful flowers, Quang Ba flower market is one can't-miss destination when you go shopping. As its name, this market is really a wonderful heaven of flowers in variety of color and types. Tourists can enjoy the beauty of roses, tulips and flowers which are grown in Vietnam.
Fans of flowers can't miss Quang Ba flower Market during the shopping in Hanoi.[/caption]
- Normally, the market is relatively crowded with hundred blocks of tourists at night. If you are living in the city, you can catch public transport to reach Quang Ba flower market.
- Opening hours: The market only opens at night from 12:00 am
- Address: Quang An, Tay Ho, Hanoi
8. Bat Trang Ceramic Village
- Bat Trang Ceramic Village is one popular destination for fans of pottery art with more than 500 years of experience. Walking along ancient houses of Bat Trang village, tourists can catch their eye sight of various handicrafts and ceramic products.
Bat Trang Ceramic Village, a famous Hanoi shopping attraction
- You also can get to know more about the process of manufacturing a ceramic products, which makes you admire the talents and meticulousness of skilled craftmen in this ancient village. Besides, you can also enjoy local specialties such as purple yam cake and sticky rice, which would definitely satisfy you at the first sight.
- Opening hours: 8 am to 7 pm
- Address: Bat Trang Commune, Gia Lam District, Hanoi,Vietnam
9. Lotte Center Hanoi
The 65 storey building broadens our viewsights, literally and figuratively. It's like a symbol for Vietnam's growing economy, drawing an attention to international companies and foreign tourists.
Therefore, Lotte Center is full of facilities and amenities from international fashion brands, supermarket, hotel, restaurants to residential apartments, gyms and spas.
Lotte Center Hanoi, a perfect choice for those who want to escape the heat atmosphere of traditional markets
- For those who want to get away from the heat of traditional markets and possess high-fashion outfits from top fashion designers, shopping malls like Lotte Center are definitely your priority.
- Opening hours: 9 am to 10:30 pm
- Address: 54 Lieu Giai, Cong Vi, Ba Dinh District , Hanoi