Things to do in Hanoi with kids isn’t a problem anymore! Find connecting everyone while taking good care of your children isn’t that hard HERE!
Understanding those concerns of many family travelers to this bustling capital city, AZ Local Trip, with years of experience in operating tours for families, has compiled a full list of things to do with kids in Hanoi.
Besides must-see tourist attractions, I also include other interesting activities which let your children have fun and learn stuff at the same time.
Family visit Temple of Literature in Hanoi
All the things to do in Hanoi with kids will be broken down into 2 parts:
- Fun and active activities to do with kids
- Attractions that are friendly with kids
You can see more:
- 20+ Top Things To Do In Hanoi (and the ONE thing NOT to do!) + MAPS
- Hanoi Nightlife 15+ Coolest Things in Hanoi at Night MAPS]
Now, let’s find out what are the things to do with kids in Hanoi with some of the first friendly attractions!
Fun and Active Activities – Things to do with kids in Hanoi
1. Taking a cyclo ride
Besides walking around central Hanoi, getting on a cyclo (xich lo in Vietnamese) is another amazing option.
The routes around Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi Old Quarter or Hanoi French Quarter are rather long for small children. Then, cyclo riders are available so that the trip does not become way exhausting for your kids.
You can go around some famous attractions in Hanoi on a cyclo
- You should negotiate with the rider or book a Hanoi Cyclo Tour in advance for the most suitable price
2. Watching the water puppet show
Ever since I was small, watching water puppet shows has always been among my top favorite weekend activities. This traditional form of art is just one of a kind.
Each story is told in an exceptionally amusing way with Vietnamese folk music. Your kids will draw certain simply yet big lessons from it.
Water puppet performance is a must-watch if you travel with kids
You can take your kids to Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre for water puppet shows.
- Opening time: 03:00, 04:10, 05:20, 06:30, 08:00 every afternoon and evening
- Address: 57B, Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Price: ~ 100.000 VND/ticket
- Tickets are sold out well in advance, so you had better book yours right after arrival.
3. Watching IONAH Show Hanoi
A combination of electronic music and Vietnamese folk music creates a whole new music space. Costumes in iONAH are individually designed with sophisticated details to best suit each actor and actress.
Circus act mingles with other unique art forms, special theatrical effects, and modern 3D technology.
Impressive IONAH show will wow your kids
Well, I did hesitate at first because of the high price, and perhaps you are, too. You can read this review before making up your mind:
” Star Galaxy Theatre and Convention stroke me as professional and modern. It is rare that a theatre in Vietnam massively invests in such modern performing arts.
The combined performances of the circus, dance and even the visual system are extraordinary glamorous. Particularly, the show features images of the lifestyle in this capital city.
I really hope that every visitor to Hanoi can watch the show at least once.”
I am sure not only your children but you yourself will all be deeply impressed by an iONAH show.
- Opening time: 08:00 pm every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
- Address: 87 Lang Ha Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi
- Price: 500.000 – 800.000 VND/ticket
- There is a discount for children and for buyers of 2 or 4 tickets.
- You can book online for a 10% discount.
4. Hanoi Street Food Tour with Local Guides
After a long day, you and your kids can rest at a peaceful old style coffee shop to try some Vietnamese drinks
Vietnamese food is gaining some popularity in the world in recent years. CNN also listed some of the most delicious Vietnam foods that you must try in Vietnam. While you’re in Hanoi, why not spend the time to go on a foodie adventure with your kids.
There’re some of prestige FREE Street Food Tour in Hanoi which organized by local student tour guides. You can consider and try this tour out. I think that it’s one of the great things to do in Hanoi with kids.
5. Making pottery at Bat Trang Ceramic Village
Hanoi is surrounded by numerous handicraft villages, each specializing in their own craft. You’ll find villages dedicated to traditional furniture, ceramics, copper, silk and even snakes.
Bat Trang, known as ‘the ceramic village’, is located 13 kilometers southeast of Hanoi and is a true joy for any ceramic enthusiast.
Here you’ll find the potters working the clay, trimming and glazing pots and filling the kiln. Your kids will have a chance to learn and make their own products. Also, you get to take that product back home to you.
Having fun making pottery by yourself, your kids can learn with you too or there are many other activities such as statue painting, ceramics painting… that you can try
>>> You might want to join in Bat Trang Ceramic Village Tour and experience it your own for Free!
6. Have fun at Ho Tay Water Park
If your family travels in the hot summer of Vietnam, kids will not want to miss a water park.
From lazy rivers, pools to rides such as a Ferris wheel and roller coaster, Ho Tay Water Park will make every child filled with joy! Isn’t it great when all family members enjoy an awesome time under cool water together?
Get away from the hot of Hanoi summer!
- Opening time: Usually from 08:00 am – 09:00 pm
- Address: Ho Tay Water Park No.614, Lane 612, Lac Long Quan, Nhat Tan, Tay Ho District, Hanoi
- You can prepare swimsuits at home for you and your kids. Otherwise, you can hire at the water park
Friendly Attractions – Things to do in Hanoi with kids
1. Explore colorful stores in Hanoi Old Quarter for kids
Hanoi Old Quarter is known for its 36 commercial streets. People sell a lot of Vietnamese original products here.
Your family no doubt has the chance to talk and share a lot while walking together along the street. I believe that colorful shops and stores in Hanoi Old Quarter can easily catch the attention and spark the interest in your kids.
Or just wandering around the Old Quarter is good enough!
- Since your family will mainly walk, you had better prepare comfortable clothes and trainers for your children.
- Bringing a hat and applying sunscreen is necessary, especially to prevent intense sunlight during the summertime
2. Folk games for kids at Hoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake (or Lake of the Returned Sword) is simply suitable for everyone. Also, your children may want to hear the interesting ancient legend about this lake from the local. There are many green trees along the way for a cool fresh breeze.
A lot of Vietnamese kids also come to Hoan Kiem Lake for folk games and skating, etc. Your family will have a great time to observe a different lifestyle of Hanoian.
Enjoying some fun games at Hanoi Walking Street with locals
Also, your kids can have a nice unique sketch of themselves drawn by local artists around the lake! And don’t forget to have a yummy Vietnamese ice-cream to start your journey.
- It will be most fun if you can go on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. The traffic is blocked off and only walking is allowed, so the main activities happen at this time.
3. Learning opportunity for kids at the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology
There are numerous cool artifacts featuring 54 official ethics of Vietnam such as traditional costumes of each ethnic or performing arts.
There is a lot to explore in the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology!
Moreover, your kids may love to enjoy an entertaining water puppet show during the visit. This traditional form of art is performed daily at the museum.
- Opening time: 08:30 am – 05:30 pm from Tuesday to Sunday
- Address: Nguyen Van Huyen Street, Cau Giay District, Hanoi
- You do not have to pay the entrance ticket fee for kids under 6 years old.
- English and French guides are available with required addition charge.
- You need to pay a fee for taking pictures.
- Water puppet shows are held every day at 10:00 am, 11:30 am, 02:30 pm and 04:00 pm for up to $4/person.
>>> Take a look your Museum of Ethnology Hanoi Tour Half Day now!
4. Explore the history of Vietnam in different destinations
Temple of Literature
Temple of Literature Hanoi is the first university in Vietnam. Coming here, your kids will gain a lot of knowledge of Vietnamese history as well as the education culture and Buddhism culture in Vietnam.
If lucky enough, you will catch a lot of fresh graduate coming here to take photos and to celebrate their graduation.
Vietnamese children’s excitement to visit the Temple of Literature in Hanoi
- Opening time: 07:30 – 06:00 (summertime) | 08:00 am – 06:00 (wintertime)
- Address: 58 Quoc Tu Giam Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- You need to dress for yourself and your kids with suitable and smart clothes with no shorts or hats/caps.
- You do not have to pay the entrance ticket fee for children under 15 years old.
>>> Visit Hanoi this year? See your plan now! <<<
Hoa Lo Prison
You probably know Hoa Lo Prison by the nickname Hanoi Hilton which the American prisoners used to call it.
With your kids, you can walk through the prison and see life-size mannequins depicting the gruesome life the prisoners endured and learn about the Vietnam War.
There’re guides at Hoa Lo Prison. Also, boards and video footage are displayed at each part of Hoa Lo Museum so you can understand more about the whole story of this place.
Again, this is not for every kid but might be worthwhile for teens who have studied the war in school to take a FREE Hanoi War Sites Walking Tour.
- Opening time: 08:00 – 17:00, every day.
- Address: 1 Hoa Lo Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
Find some secret and thrilling corner in Hoa Lo Prison
- You need to dress for yourself and your kids with suitable and smart clothes with no shorts or hats/caps.
- Small kids or faint-hearted kids might not be suitable to go in there
5. Botanical Garden Hanoi
Hanoi Botanic Garden constitutes a miniature landscape of mountains, forests, and lakes. There are many exotic plant species typical of Southern humid rain forests.
I always regard this as a playing-in-learning opportunity for me to visit Botanical Garden.
You can grab such a great chance to get your children out of the screen of technical devices and back to nature.
- Opening time: 06:00 – 21:00, every day.
- Address: No.3 Hoang Hoa Tham Street, Ngoc Ha Ward, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Visitors to Hanoi Botanical Garden have the responsibility not to destroy plants here.
- Since you are going to a park, it is best to prepare comfortable clothes and shoes for your children.
What is your favorite Things to do in Hanoi with Kids after reading this post? For more recommendations, feel free to ask local experts from AZ Local Trip! We are here for you!