You have just arrived and haven’t known what to do in the next 6 days in Hanoi? Or how your Hanoi Itinerary 6 days should be?
The first thing I want to inform you that: You are so lucky to have chosen the right duration for your trip to explore the beauty of the North of Vietnam!
6 days is a perfect duration that you can visit 3-4 Vietnam Northern provinces included Hanoi without worrying of any rush while traveling. This duration also helps you to choose the destinations easily to fit with your travel-mate as family, couple, friends, or even solo.
Check out our recommended routes below and find out which one is most suitable for you!
More information about Hanoi Itinerary:
6-day is a great duration to explore Hanoi and some beautiful destinations in the North of Vietnam.
Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days In Brief
Option 1: 2 days in Hanoi, 2 days in Halong Bay, 2 days in Sapa
- Day 1: Hanoi Arrival (Free Old Quarter Walking Tour with Local volunteers)
- Day 2: Hanoi – Halong Bay day trip
- Day 3: Halong Bay – Hanoi Street Food Tours with AZ Local NPO
- Day 4: From Hanoi to Sapa (Lao Cai – Sapa – Cat Cat Village)
- Day 5: Sapa – Muong Hoa Valley – Lao Chai – Ta Van – To Hanoi at night.
- Day 6: Hanoi City Free and Easy day (Detailed below)
The first option covers Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa. But if you are grouped with elders and kids, this itinerary will be not highly recommended.
As to explore Sapa, you have to walk or trek a lot down the roads and villages and this might be difficult for kids and elders.
It also takes a lot of time to go to Sapa (by train or shuttle bus) so this itinerary is a little bit rush.
Young people and adventurous souls might be best suitable for this trip!
Free Tours with local volunteers have received a lot of positive Tripadvisor reviews
For more detail
Option 2: 3 days in Hanoi, 2 days in Halong Bay, 1 day in Ninh Binh
- Day 1: Arrive in Hanoi (Hanoi Old Quarter, Hanoi Nightlife)
- Day 2: Hanoi – Halong Bay – Overnight on cruise
- Day 3: Halong Bay – Back to Hanoi
- Day 4: Hanoi Around the City (Ho Chi Minh Complex, Hanoi Citadel, Temple of literature) + French Quarter + Enjoy Foods to prepare for the next day
- Day 5: Ninh Binh Day Trip: Hoa Lu – Tam Coc
- Day 6: Hanoi Free & Easy day
We would highly recommend this itinerary with groups of elders and kids or those who want a relaxing trip. The itinerary is not too rush but you also can experience the most out of 3 destinations.
Option 3: 2 days in Hanoi, 3 days in Halong Bay, 1 day in Ninh Binh
This would be recommended for ones would have a leisure holiday, because you’ll spend 3 days 2 nights in Halong Bay and 2 nights on the cruise. 2 days in Hanoi is also a considerable time. (Westerners are more interested in this itinerary as the research of over 10.000 customers from AZ Local Trip)
However, option 1 and 2 are the most popular among tourists. So we will list down the detailed plans for the 2 options right below!
If you have some difficulty in planning your itinerary in Hanoi and Vietnam, just click the button below and AZ Local Trip will help you out 24/7 with a FREE Customized Itinerary!
Detailed of Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days
Option 1: Hanoi – Halong Bay – Sapa – Hanoi
Sapa and Halong Bay are the most two attractive destinations in the North of Vietnam. With the Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days, we will help you to visit the highlight places in each destination and have the best time in Vietnam.
Day 1: Explore Hanoi Old Quarter walking tours with local university volunteer guides (AZlocal NPO)
In The Morning:
Visit Hanoi Old Quarter and the destinations inside and around the area such as Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi Ancient House, Bach Ma Temple, Old City Gate, Dong Xuan Market… You can check out the map below for the itinerary in Hanoi Old Quarter.
Guide map of all the famous attractions in the Hanoi Old Quarter
- Hoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake is considered a “Pearl of the Capital”, or a “Flower basket in the heart of the city”
It is a must-do. All almost the walking tours cover this area.
- Ma May Hanoi ancient house:
Hanoi Ancient House ( Ma May Ancient House) at 87 Ma May Street, Old Quarter is a very well-preserved house that prevailed throughout Hanoi before the concrete egg-carton style took over. With the constant shift towards a more metropolitan and modern lifestyle.
In The Afternoon
Have a City Tour around Hanoi to explore more of the places such as Ho Chi Minh Complex: Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Ho Chi Minh Museum, One Pillar Pagoda, Ba Dinh Square, Ho Chi Minh Stilt House,…; Temple of Literature…
You may find your trip much fascinating joining a FREE Walking Tour with locals, like CNN journalists. From Old Quarter, French Quarter, Ho Chi Minh Complex to Museum and Street Food Tour, we have it all!
Hanoi free walking tour with local students
- Doing Hanoi Free Street Food Tours with Local Guides, or enjoy Drinking beer with some locals to understand more about Hanoi nightlife
- There are more recommendation in our post 2 days in Hanoi
Day 2: Hanoi – Halong Bay – Overnight on cruise
Hanoi – Halong Bay – Sung Sot Cave – Titop Island
From Hanoi, transfer to Halong Bay in the early morning and reach Halong Bay around lunch then check in your cruise.
There was a mandatory session about safety procedures for passengers before check-in time. Next, you can get yourself familiar with the cruise where you will spend the night.
Also, the view along the way is just amazing. Grab a moment to observe it!
- Sung Sot Cave
After lunch, you will set sail for Sung Sot Cave (Surprise Grotto). Sung Sot Cave is in the heart of the World Heritage Site of Ha Long Bay.
When I first came to Sung Sot Cave, I found it rather small. Yet after crossing a narrow passage, I was wowed with how large and impressive the cave was. Its vast expanse can accommodate thousands of people.
The exotic beauty of limestone stalagmites formed over thousands of years will certainly amaze you!
You may have a feeling of going on a fantasy-like journey.
- Titop Island
Then, the cruise head to Titop Island. Titop Island as an important part of Halong 2 days 1 night.
Explore the island or you can choose to sunbathe on the beach.
Otherwise, we suggest rock climbing for those with an adventurous spirit. You will have a panoramic view of Halong Bay from Titop peak.
After a long day, back to your cruise, join some activities on board and spend an overnight on it.
Some cruise will offer you a chance to visit Vung Vieng village – where locals live and do business on the waterway!
Day 3: Luon Cave – Halong Bay – Hanoi
- Tai Chi session
It is a great idea to start your day by doing Tai Chi exercises. This traditional martial art no doubt helps you to stay healthy even during a holiday!
When waking up early in the morning, you will have the chance to observe the amazing sunrise on the bay. This unforgettable scenery will be a reward for your Halong Bay 1 night.
A light breakfast is served in the restaurant.
Have a proper meal and summon up enough energy for the rest of your trip!
- Luon Cave
Luon Cave has the front facing Tortoise Islet. Lying to the right of the cave is Sky Gate (Cong Troi), which is believed to be the interference of Heaven and Earth.
You will have a guided tour through Luon Cave on a boat rowed by a local boatman and watch the natural scenery along the way at the same time. Such an exciting experience!
Luon Cave is a popular landmark in Halong Bay. Don’t miss out!
You would be interested in:
- 28+ BEST Things To Do In Halong Bay – Attractions & Activities
- Halong Bay cruise – 5 big tips for better cruise at lower price
Day 4: Day 1 in Sapa
- Arrive in Sapa in the early morning, take some rest then start visiting Cat cat village.
- Visit Taphin village in the afternoon.
- Go around Sapa center to get to know the nightlife here.
- Spend overnight in Sapa.
The view on the top of Fansipan Legend Complex
Day 5: Day 2 in Sapa – Back to Hanoi
- Get on a cable car and go to the top of Fansipan.
- Spend time in Silver Waterfall and Heaven Gate in the afternoon.
- Get back to Hanoi on the train at night.
Day 6: Hanoi Free and Easy Day
- Recommendations: If you have time to explore around, you can visit Bat Trang Ceramics Village or Duong Lam Ancient Village for half day. Otherwise, do some shopping or chilling in a coffee shop around Hanoi Old Quarter.
- Flight back home
Option 2: Hanoi – Halong Bay – Ninh Binh
With this Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days, you will have the chance to visit nearly all the destinations in each place but still no need to rush. Hanoi, Ninh Binh, Halong will definitely impress you after this trip.
Day 1: Explore Hanoi Old Quarter – Hanoi Street Food Tour
- Arrive in Hanoi then start your journey with the Old Quarter in the morning. You can start with Hoan Kiem lake, Ma May ancient house, Dong Xuan market…
- Time for eating and enjoying. Try local dishes like Pho, Snail noodle rice, kebab rice noodle… immediately to understand why Hanoian, as well as Vietnamese, are proud of it.
- Understand the daily life and local food is not enough. Drinking beer on Ta Hien street at night will help you get a complete understand of Hanoi life.
Day 2: Hanoi – Halong Bay
- Arrive in Halong in the morning and visit caves here for the whole day on a cruise.
- Visit Tuan Chau Island and see Dolphin show.
- At night, join squid fishing activities on the cruise. Free night on board.
Day 3: Halong Bay – Hanoi
- Join some activities such as kayaking, swimming and keep cruising to visit beautiful islands around the area.
- In the afternoon, back to the harbor and get on the car back to Hanoi.
Day 4: Hanoi French Quarter – Cyclo Tour
- In the morning, you’ll go to explore the Hanoi French Quarter area. Different from Hanoi Old Quarter, this area has many French colonist architectures. Some attractions you must go through are St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Hoa Lo Prison, Long Bien Bridge,…
- In the evening, take a cyclo ride around and enjoy a Water Puppet Show performance.
After spending time in Hanoi and Halong Bay, now make memories in Ninh Binh!
Day 5: Hanoi – Ninh Binh Tours
- Leave for Ninh Binh in the early morning then you can visit Hoa Lu Ancient Capital, King Dinh and King Le temples – some of most popular Ninh Binh Tours.
- Have local lunch and then in the afternoon, get on a boat ride in Tam Coc
- Come back to Hanoi in the late afternoon. Free night for you in Hanoi to explore this capital yourself.
Day 6: Hanoi
- In the last day, if you have time, go to explore the West Lake area and Tran Quoc Pagoda (the most beautiful, peaceful and oldest pagoda in Hanoi).
- Then it’s free time for you before catch your flight home.
That is all for our Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days. What is your choice among the 3 above? If you have something to ask, feel free contact us – AZ local trip for more explanation and further recommendation!