You have arrived in Hanoi and do not know what to do in the next 6 days? Or you are planning to spend 6 days in Hanoi? or how your Hanoi Itinerary 6 days should be?
The first thing I want to inform you that: You are so lucky to have chosen the right duration for your trip to explore the beauty of the North of Vietnam!
6 days is a perfect duration that you can visit 3-4 Vietnam Northern provinces included Hanoi without worrying of any rush while traveling. This duration also helps you to choose the destinations easily to fit with your travel-mate as family, couple, friends, or even solo.
Check out our recommended route below and find out which one is most suitable for you.
Also, there are things to do there, tips from local and travel experts in each recommendation.
For More Itineraries:
- Hanoi Itinerary (Detailed) – From 1 day to 7 days
I. Hanoi Itinerary 6 days in brief
- Routes: There are several options for the routes which have about 3-4 destinations for you to choose the most suitable one.
- Hanoi – Sapa – Ha Long – Hanoi. ( 2 days in Hanoi, 2 days in Sapa, 2 days in Halong Bay)
- Hanoi 2 days – Halong Bay 3 days, Ninh Binh 1 day
- Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Ha Long – Hanoi. (3 days in Hanoi, 1 day in Ninh Binh, 2 days in Halong)
- Option 1: (2 days Hanoi, 2 Days Halong Bay, 2 days Sapa), this itinerary is the most popular itinerary because this cover 3 most famous destinations (Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay – UNESCO World Heritage Site), but this would be a not really an good option for ones who would like to have relaxing holiday (family with kids or elderly), Halong Bay on the bus will take you 8-9 hours, Sapa would take more than 14 hours ( for each 2 days). Sapa requires travelers to treck in the moutains.
- Option 2: This would be recommended for ones would have a leisure holiday, because 3 days 2 night will be the best for Halong Bay because you spend 8 hours on the bus. There are moutains, rivers, rice fields which are similar to Sapa but less time, less money to spend. Hanoi, 2 days 2 nights, that is enough. We are living in Hanoi for many years, so 2 days! More will be boring, less is not enough.
2 days with our free local guides (organized by AZ Local Trip, Free Local Guides are local university students taking travelers around Hanoi for Free to have chance to improve themselves, you have chance of getting to know more about history, culture of Vietnam)
Search for Hanoi Free Tours on the list of Hanoi Tours
II. Detailed of Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days
2.1. Option 1: Hanoi – Sapa – Ha Long – Hanoi
( 2 days in Hanoi, 2 days in Sapa, 2 days in Halong Bay)
Sapa and Ha Long are the most two attractive destinations in the North of Vietnam. With the Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days, we will help you to visit the highlight places in each destination and have the best time in Vietnam.
Day 1: Hanoi city tour with free local tours guides
in the morning:
Visit Hanoi Old Quarter such as Hoan Kiem lake, Ma May ancient house, O Quan Chuong – the old gate, Dong Xuan market…
There are two activities to do in the afternoon: Learn how to do pottery in Bat Trang pottery village, or visit some local sites such as Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, one pillar pagoda…
- Hoan Kiem Lake (40 minutes)
Hoan Kiem Lake is considered a “Pearl of the Capital”, or a “Flower basket in the heart of the city”
It is a must-do. All almost the walking tours cover this area.
- Ma May ancient house:
Hanoi Ancient House ( Ma May Ancient House) at 87 Ma May Street, Old Quarter is a very well-preserved house that prevailed throughout Hanoi before the concrete egg-carton style took over. With the constant shift towards a more metropolitan and modern lifestyle.
- Doing Hanoi Free Street Food Tours with Local Guides, or enjoy Drinking beer with some locals to understand more about Hanoi nightlife
- There are more recommendation in our post One day in Hanoi
Day 2: (Day 1 in Halong Bay)
Day 1: Hanoi – Halong Bay – Sung Sot Cave – Titop Island
From Hanoi, I transferred to Halong City early in the morning.I embarked on the cruise at noon.
There was a mandatary session about safety procedures for passengers before check-in time. Next, you can get yourself familiar with the cruise where you will spend the night.
Also, the view along the way is just amazing. I grabbed a moment to observe so that there would be no regret about my Halong Bay 2 days.
Halong Bay, one of the seven wonders of the world
Sung Sot Cave
After lunch,you will set sail for Sung Sot Cave (Surprise Grotto). Sung Sot Cave is in the heart of the World Heritage Site of Ha Long Bay.
Astonishing interior of Surprise Cave
When I first came to Sung Sot Cave, I found it rather small. Yet after crossing a narrow passage, I was wowed with how large and impressive the cave was.Its vast expanse can accommodate thousands of people.
The exotic beauty of limestone stalagmites formed over thousands of years will certainly amaze you!
You may have a feeling of going on a fantasy-like journey.
- Titop Island
Titop Island as an important part of Halong 2 days 1 night
Then, I went on to visitTitop Island.
You can choose to sunbathe on the beach.
Otherwise, I suggest rock climbingfor those with an adventurous spirit. You will have a panoramic view of Halong Bay from Titop peak.
Rock climbing at Titop Island
Day 2: Luon Cave – Halong Bay – Hanoi
- Tai Chi session
It is a great idea to start your day by doing Tai Chi exercises. This traditional martial art no doubt helps you to stay healthy even during a holiday!
Passengers doing Tai Chi exercises on board
When waking up early in the morning, you will have the chance to observe the amazing sunrise on the bay. This unforgettable scenery will be a reward for your Halong Bay 1 night.
A light breakfast is served in the restaurant.
Have a proper meal and summon up enough energy for the rest your trip!
- Luon Cave
Luon Cave has the front facing Tortoise Islet.Lying to the right of the cave is Sky Gate (Cong Troi), which is believed to be the interference of Heaven and Earth.
Luon Cave at Halong Bay
You will have a guided tour through Luon Cave on a boat rowed by a local boatman.
It was my all-time favourite part of the trip to sit on the bamboo boat. You can also watchthe natural sceneryalong the way at the same time.
— Full Halong Bay Itinerary 2 days
Day 3: (Day 2 in Halong Bay) Halong – Back to Hanoi in the afternoon
- Continue visiting some places in Halong as Thien Canh Son, Titop Island…in the morning.
- 2 hour traveling back to Hanoi in the afternoon, try some local foods in Hanoi like Snail noodle, Pho…
- Get on a night train to Sapa.
- There are other options in our 3 days in Hanoi
Day 4: Day 1 in Sapa – (From Hanoi to Sapa)
- Arrive in Sapa in the early morning, take some rest then start visiting Cat cat village.
- Visit Taphin village in the afternoon.
- Go around Sapa center to get to know the nightlife here.
- See more in 4 days in Hanoi
Day 5: Day 2 in Sapa (Back to Hanoi in the Afternoon)
- Get on a cable car and go to the top of Fansipan.
- Spend time in Silver Waterfall and Heaven Gate in the afternoon.
- Get back to Hanoi on train at night.
- For more information, you can check our post “5 days in Hanoi”.
Day 6: Hanoi (Free and easy day)
- Arrive in Hanoi and have a free morning to explore Hanoi yourself.
- Afternoon is the time for food and shopping in Hanoi.
- Free night in Hanoi.
2.2. OPTION 2: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Halong – Hanoi.
(3 days in Hanoi, 1 day in Ninh Binh, 2 days in Halong)
Coming to the North of Vietnam, visitors are curious about Halong which was known as one of seven new wonders of the world. Then, I recommend you to visit Ninh Binh also which are said as “Halong on land”. With a Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days, you will have the chance to visit nearly all the destinations in each place but still no need to rush. Hanoi, Ninh Binh, Halong will definitely impress you after this trip.
Day 1: Hanoi
- Arrive in Hanoi then start your journey with the Old Quarter in the morning. You can start with Hoan Kiem lake, Ma May ancient house, Dong Xuan market…
- Time for eating and enjoying. Try local dishes like Pho, Snail noodle rice, kebab rice noodle… immediately to understand why Hanoian, as well as Vietnamese, are proud of it.
- Understand the daily life and the local food is not enough. Drinking beer on Ta Hien street at night will help you get a complete understand of Hanoi life.
Day 2: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Hanoi.
- Leave for Ninh Binh in the early morning then you can visit Tam Coc caves right in the morning to save time.
- Trang An is the next destination you can visit in the afternoon. Then get back to Hanoi.
- Free night for you in Hanoi to explore this capital yourself.
Day 3: Hanoi – Halong
- Arrive in Halong in the morning and visit caves here for the whole day on a cruise.
- Visit Tuan Chau Island and see Dolphin show.
Day 4: Halong
- Get amused in Dragon park complex included Water Park and Amusement Park.
- Free night in Halong
Day 5: Halong – Hanoi
- Afternoon is the time for shopping in Hanoi.
- Watching Hanoi water puppet show in the evening.
Day 6: Hanoi
- Bat Trang pottery is the destination in the morning.
- In the afternoon, you can visit some local sites like Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, One pillar pagoda, West Lake.
- The last night in Hanoi is free for you.
2.3. OPTION 3: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Halong – Sapa – Hanoi
(2 days in Hanoi, 1 day in Ninh Binh, 2 days in Sapa, 1 day in Halong)
This route will help you have a clearer view about the north of Hanoi as visit 4 most famous destinations. However, Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days is somehow rusher and you will have less free time to explore the destinations yourself.
Day 1: Hanoi city tour
- Your trip starts with local sites such as Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, Vietnam Museum of Ethnology…in Hanoi in the morning.
- In the afternoon, visit the Old Quarter and try the local food here.
- Drink beer on Ta Hien and understand more about the nightlife.
Day 2: Hanoi – Ninh Binh – Sapa
- Arrive in Ninh Binh then visit Hoa Lu old capital in the morning
- Trang An will be best visited in the afternoon then travel back to Hanoi.
- More : Ninh Binh Itinerary
- Get on a night train to Sapa.
Day 3: Sapa
- Cat cat village is the first place for you after arriving in here.
- In the afternoon, visit Ta Phin village and market town.
- Join in some locals activities to understand the nightlife.
Day 4: Sapa – Hanoi
- Get to the top of Fansipan by cable car.
- In the afternoon, you can visit Silver Waterfall and Heaven Gate.
- Get back to Hanoi on a train at night.
Day 5: Hanoi – Halong – Hanoi.
- After arriving in Halong, get on a cruise and visit caves there for the whole day.
- Back to Hanoi in the evening.
Day 6: Hanoi
- Visit Vietnam Museum of Ethnology to understand the variety of Vietnamese ethnic.
- Spend the afternoon shopping around Hanoi.
- In the evening, go to Hanoi water puppet show and enjoy the show.
That is all for our Hanoi Itinerary 6 Days. If you wonder anything, feel free contact us – AZ local trip for more explanation and further recommendation.